Question:
Eat your meat, is this true?
2007-10-03 17:32:12 UTC
1. Abscesses and digestive organs are punctured during slaughter, releasing pus, fecal material and ingesta all over carcasses. The law requires that affected meat and poultry be trimmed rather than rinsed. Plants repeatedly skip trimming and merely rinse the meat, which can force bacteria into the porous flesh. Up to 25% of slaughtered chickens on the inspection line are covered with feces, bile and feed.

2. Diseased (cancerous and tuberculoid) animals condemned during ante-mortem inspection are sent to slaughter in violation of the law.

3. Red meat animals and poultry that are dead on arrival or die in the yard while awaiting slaughter are hidden from inspectors doing ante-mortem inspections and hung up to be butchered. Severed heads from "cancer eye" cattle are switched to smaller carcasses, so less meat will be condemned.

4. Chickens and hams are soaked in chlorine baths to remove slime and odor, and red dye is added to beef to make it appear fresh.

5. Rancid meat is smoked to cover foul odor, or marinated and breaded to disguise slime and smell.
Sixteen answers:
?
2007-10-03 19:01:37 UTC
I'm just apalled at the extent of the misinformation in the question and by a number of the comments. I'm wondering if this is some kind of PETA crap. Certainly this rant is not the "norm" in countries where there is a rigorous system of inspection.

And the absurd comment that Kosher animals are hung is so very wrong that every rabbi and Jewish person would be screaming to hang the idiot that said something like that.

I'm not sure what the purpose of this whole thing was, but it certainly is not a question that bears any serious consideration by anyone with half a brain.
traceilicious
2007-10-04 08:01:44 UTC
I agree with Blue Sea on this one. While undoubtly there is some practices in the meat industry that are not acceptable this is pushing the envelope of fact versus fiction. She is 100% right about the Kosher beef. They are not hanged and you will not find any Jewish people who beleive you on this one. Kosher practices are very involved when it comes to food, especially meat. This is one reason why it cost more at the check out. I also agree that there are a lot of pesticides out there that are used on vegetables to that most of us do not want to even think about.

I would encourage you to use educational material from groups that want persuade you from eating meat or any other product you may want. There is a lot of money being made on publishing propaganda as there is in the meat industry.
justin ohio
2007-10-03 19:27:21 UTC
Don't listen to anyone who talks like they know it all. The more you know the more you realize you don't know. I know someone who worked in a slaughter house and he is now veg. And if you have enough money the government will not stand in your way. Look at the tobacco industry. A wise man once said, "Allow me to control the creation and distribution of a country's money and I care not who makes the laws". The meat industry is guilty of these things on some level or another and to argue that would be like saying the Catholic Church is non-profit. Also consider the pollution and all the harmful effects cattle farming CAN have on the environment. There will be crooks in any industry it is just a matter of how crooked they can afford to be. Hey at least they aren't targeting minors to increase their sales of rancid meat.
BlueSea
2007-10-03 17:36:42 UTC
Reputable packing houses are after MONEY, that means healthy animals and healthy meat. Stressed out animals do NOT yield profitable meat. Hiding a dead cow is a bit hard, even in a packing house, you cannot hide a dead one among the live ones and if they die in the yard it's a bit hard to move an animal as big and heavy as a cow.

The government inspectors are ON SITE AT ALL TIMES while slaughter and packing is going on.

Please stop buying into the propaganda that animal rights, so called, are feeding you.

And I say reputable packing houses because as in EVERY industry you have the crooks

Cattle, by the way, ARE NOT HUNG to be slaughtered.

ADDITIONAL

Yeah, sweetie, don't get so pissy. see if you're going to argue one side you HAVE to look at and get the facts of the other. My husband works for the largest meat packer in the world and has for 25 years, started out at the bottom is way up near the top these days.

To Brianna:

You are wrong. Hubby worked in a plant that was Kosher, those cattel were NOT hung for slaughter. The Rabbi slit their throat while they had all 4 feet on the ground.

ADDITIONAL

ROFLMAO...........bahhhhhaaaahhhhaaa your point of referrence is a paper by a guy who is head of ESSENTIAL OILS ONLINE, my gosh, what a hoot.
theseeker4
2007-10-03 17:42:08 UTC
Sure, as much as it is true that illegal/unapproved pesticides and herbicides are used on vegtables, some veggies are undoubtedly grown on contaminated land, veggies and especially fruits are sold after being ripened with chemical gas rather than being allowed to ripen naturally, chemicals are not properly washed off of veggies before being sold, etc. There are problems and corrupt things that are done in any industry, meat packing certainly isn't unique in having it, and veggies are certainly not immune.
majnun99
2007-10-03 19:04:13 UTC
I used to work in the restaurant business and I know red meat often has green mold growing on it before it is sold to stores and so on.

I was always told there's nothing wrong with that, but if most people saw it they wouldn't want to eat it.

I haven't seen any of the other stuff, so I don't know.
Michael H
2007-10-04 02:25:05 UTC
These practices are used but not universally.

There are many more issues with the meat industry than just those. The issues you mention relate to the health impact for people.

What about the health for the animal ?
Love #me#, Hate #me#
2007-10-03 18:50:05 UTC
You can't have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!

1. False

2. False

3. False

4. False

5. False

Let's have a reputable link for your integrity's sake and not any of that PETA propaganda. Unbiased sources are the only valid sources no matter what the subject matter is.

I know-----thumbs down-----let it rip!!
Chrissy: The Angry Typer a/k/a Mood Mole
2007-10-03 17:41:45 UTC
Not at all surprised. I wouldn't be too amazed to find out the government is actually condoning this...another way to thin out the herd...it's smallpox blankets all over again. The thing that sucks is...i LOVE steak!! I will eat it...but when i get ecoli or some wacked out disease, i will die cursing the government. This is their doing.
Limestoner62
2007-10-03 19:58:34 UTC
I hear that most fruits and vegetables are routinely urinated on and defecated on by passing animals sometimes these end up in markets without being properly washed.

So there!
Brianna :)
2007-10-03 18:23:13 UTC
TO BLUE SEA

Yes some animals are hanged to be considered kosher animals can't touch the blood of another animal....therefore they hange them.
khartfan111
2007-10-03 17:46:59 UTC
I love this! I stopped eating meat almost a year ago and when people ask me why, I can never put into words what I watched on a video. But this is it!!!
cast_the_shadow
2007-10-03 17:49:01 UTC
What is your question? Is this a public service announcement?

I'll have to think about all this while I am eating my steak and chicken.
2007-10-03 18:06:59 UTC
hmmm...i thought this was yahoo answers, not yahoo soapbox
2007-10-03 17:37:58 UTC
Doesn't sound at all surprising.
krazyxkailie
2007-10-03 18:54:55 UTC