Question:
Does Dixie Crystals Pure Cane Sugar have added bone char to enrich the white color?
2009-02-27 07:51:24 UTC
i have read that many sugar providers add this to make the sugar whiter in color.

Many vegans do not consume sugar, either, because it is often whitened by animal bone
char. You can avoid sugar that is whitened by bone char by purchasing "unbleached" sugar, sugar in the raw, or beet sugar. There are some cane sugars, too, which were not whitened using bone char, but they hard to distinguish from others, unless you know the exact name brand.

http://www.recipeslovers.com/vegan-cake-recipes.html
Four answers:
2009-02-27 08:15:49 UTC
Hi. Yes, Dixie Crystals is processed using bone char. They do not add bone char to the sugar itself, and it's not in the sugar. But their white sugar is processed using bone char filters. Here's a good article on sugar and bone char from Vegetarian Journal. http://www.vrg.org/journal/vj2007issue4/VJ4_2007-Sugar.pdf

The easiest way to avoid bone char in the US is to buy organic sugar. Not all white sugar is processed using bone char. Read that article for more info.

**edit: The reason I know Dixie Crystals uses bone char is because their own company website states it. ;) http://dixiecrystals.com/fw/main/Frequently-Asked-Questions-1302.html Bone char filters are very much still in use. However some parts of the world have outlawed their use-- like Australia.
?
2016-10-01 09:44:05 UTC
Dixie Crystal Sugar
?
2009-02-27 09:02:17 UTC
No vegans I know assume that brown sugar is vegan. Brown sugar is usually simply white sugar of the same quality as they would otherwise sell, with molasses added. Does that sound vegan? I know several vegans and they won't eat anything with sugar, brown or white, unless they know the brand does not involve bone char.
Michael H
2009-02-27 08:32:23 UTC
The comments about bone char filters are old.

The majority of pure white sugars are filtered using mechanical drying centrifuges.

I know becuase i have it in writing from the largest refiners in the world. I have no doubt you can still find some sugars that are filtered and cleaned with bone char.

But not the majority.

Here is a funny one for vegans and veggies......Tate and Lyle ( one of the worlds largest sugar refiners ) confirmed to me that the ONLY sugar of thiers that isn't veggie is a raw unbleached brown sugar because they use a beef stock to colour it.

Funny that, so many vegans ASSUME raw brown sugar is vegan....tut tut, shouldn't assume.

The problem with the internet is that people post articles, but don't take them down when they are out of date.